Attachment Disorder Around The World

I checked out the stats on my blog and was blown away when I saw that there are visitors from all over the world.  The good news is that there is an awareness of Attachment Disorder all over the world.  How much so, I do not know.  I have a friend who lives in France and is a therapist, but she says they are just glad to be addressing the ADHD issue, while here, we are seeing many more psychological issues with children, those adopted internationally and locally within the states.  Again, even as in the states, people do not want to see Attachment Disorder, or they want to call it something else like "conduct disorder" or oppositional defiance disorder, among other things.  But then I say, what's at the source of that diagnosis - where does the behavior come from.  When I study the abandonment issues, and understanding attachment and early child development, the theories behind how attachment disorder develops, and how children's brains and personalities develop around an early abandonment - fear of death.  No one is here to take care of me and love me, so I must take care of myself.  This can develop in the uterus if it is a poor, neglectful pregnancy, or even right away at birth. Even if the baby is adopted early, some of those children still have it.  I believe the fact that some children have it and some don't is their personalities and resiliency, just like all other children. 
I had a family with 2 children - one had been nursed by birthmom for a few weeks and the other child was abandoned right away, and what a difference in the 2 children.  But it wouldn't be the only criteria.  As you all know, it is a very difficult diagnosis, and resistant to treatment.  I don't know what kind of treatment options exist in Europe.  I know that Colorado has sort of been a center for training for therapists, but there arent very many of us in this country either.  Plus, we become a target for anyone who doesn't believe in attachment disorder, just like the caregivers of the children - no child could act like that, the adults must be the problem. This is all for now.  Feel free to comment. Sign up for my blog postings.
Chris Appell-Naff, LCPC
Check out Empower Network

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

praise to parents with CWAD - children with attachment disorder

Attachment Disorder - October, 2017

Attachment Disorder Updates